A relatively new, up and coming ingredient in the pet food industry is the pea. As information is made available, the tiny pea has caught the eye of many vets and animal nutritionists lately. Here are 8 interesting points about what we consider to be the greatest new power ingredient – the humble pea!
1. In North America it is a cool season plant commonly grow in the Northern states and even in Canada.
2. Peas contain higher levels of protein than grains and they are a good source for most essential amino acids. This makes peas an ideal protein especially in conjunction with the protein in meats and meat meals.
3. In addition, peas are gluten free and the carbohydrates are considered to have a low Glycemic Index which makes them ideal.
4. There is very little fat in peas but they do contain amounts of both Omega 6 and Omega 3 fatty acids.
5. Peas contain a relatively high concentration of insoluble fiber which helps to control appetite by making dogs feel full longer.
6. In addition pea fiber helps to maintain adequate stool volume and consistency, reducing the risk of diarrhea or constipation.
7. Peas are also an excellent natural source of B complex vitamins, vitamin C and K, potassium and several trace minerals.
8. Several studies with peas have shown that both dogs and cats like the taste of peas and readily accept it in their diets.
Peas are one of the beneficial ingredients in our newest recipe for dogs, Holistic Select Weight Management Recipe with Chicken Meal and Peas. This special recipe is designed to help manage your dogs weight while helping them feel full and satisfied longer. Learn more about this unique new recipe and find out if it’s right for your furry friend.