Archive for the ‘Photo Galleries’ Category
04.12.2010 | 10:19 am
Butler Blue, Butler University’s English Bulldog mascot, Holistic Select and City Dogs Grocery in Indianapolis, hosted a party this weekend in celebration of the Butler University men’s basketball team and their phenomenal 2009-10 season. It was a beautiful day and the entire neighborhood came together to help celebrate the great season the Butler Basketball team had.
As you can probably tell from these photos – Butler Blue is a true blue Holistic Select fan! He just loves his Holistic Select Radiant Adult Health Anchovy, Sardine & Salmon Meal Recipe.
Nourish Your Puppy’s Developing Brain: The Five Things You Need to Know to Raise a Healthy Puppy on National Puppy Day
03.18.2010 | 03:28 pm
Chewing on shoes? Yipping at midnight? Accidents on the kitchen floor?
Must be a new puppy in the house! In recognition of National Puppy Day on March 23, Holistic Select® staff veterinarian Dr. Al Townshend shares the five key things new puppy parents should know to nourish their growing dogs’ brains and activate a higher level of health.
1. The first step is important and fun: selecting a name for your new addition. Dr. Townshend notes that choosing the right name is part of sound puppy development. Avoid names that sound like commands. A dog might mistake “Joe” for “no,” for instance. And make sure the name is something you will be comfortable calling out in a public place.
2. Now that the puppy is named, be sure to nourish its young, developing brain. It is critical to feed a food supplemented with DHA, an Omega-3 fatty acid, which is essential to the development of nervous tissue and visual function in dogs. “Exciting new research indicates DHA may promote brain and overall good health in animals of all ages,” says Dr. Townshend. “The benefits begin when they receive the proper diet as puppies and this functional ingredient is found in Holistic Select® Nourish Puppy Health Anchovy, Sardine and Chicken Meals Recipe.”
3. Third, consider the need of the breed. The nutritional needs can vary widely, particularly among super-sized puppies such as Great Danes, Saint Bernards and Labrador Retrievers. “Controlled growth is essential for large breed puppies,” says Dr. Townshend. “These breeds actually need fewer calories per pound than smaller breeds. With the potential to grow up to 100 times their birth weight, a large breed puppy’s energy intake must be regulated to ensure consistent, steady growth. Weight gain that comes too quickly can stress developing bones, and may lead to other disorders.”
Conversely, small and miniature breeds have their own metabolism considerations too. Dr. Townshend recommends feeding these large and small breeds specially formulated recipes from Holistic Select. The Large and Giant Breed Puppy Health Lamb Meal and Oatmeal Recipe is designed with fewer calories, optimum levels and proper ratios of minerals such as calcium and phosphorus for proper bone growth and includes natural DHA to help these puppies grow up smart and strong. The Small and Mini Breed Nourish Puppy Health Anchovy, Sardine and Chicken Meals Recipe was created specifically to support the metabolism of active and growing small & mini breed puppies. This recipe packs in enhanced levels of premium proteins, fat, calories and guaranteed levels of natural DHA to support brain development, all in easy to chew kibble size for small mouths and teeth.
All puppies will benefit from added ingredients that have the power to positively impact a dog’s health not just today but for the long term too. Select Actives™ found in all Holistic Select recipes, including the puppy foods, are a combination of enzymes, direct fed microbials, botanicals and phytonutrients that work together to activate a higher level of health.
4. Exercise is another essential element to incorporate into a puppy’s holistic lifestyle. The activity doesn’t have to be overly strenuous in order to be beneficial to their well-being, but regular exercise is key. Set aside a brief period of time daily dedicated to physical activity for your dog. Doing this on a regular basis gives your pup something to look forward to, exercises their developing brain and strengthens their bond with you too.
5. Finally, new puppy parents need to be disciplined too, and watch out for feeding too many snacks. “Typically ‘people snacks’ don’t meet a pet’s nutritional needs,” Dr. Townshend warns. “Feeding people snacks can unbalance a previously balanced diet and may have detrimental side effects, not to mention surface food intolerances.”
03.08.2010 | 11:10 am
We receive so many great photos from pet parents across the country every day – all who believe in activating a higher level of health for their dogs and cats. These healthy pets all enjoy Holistic Select recipes! Glossy coats and bright eyes – we think you’ll agree that health shines through for these furry family members!
02.02.2010 | 11:58 am
Take a peek! You may have already seen one of these beautiful new Holistic Select truck wraps during your daily commute. If you pass one of these stunning trucks on the road, follow it to the nearest retailer to stock up on your pet’s favorite Holistic Select recipe.
01.11.2010 | 12:57 pm
Ollie is a member of the Holistic Select family who loves his Holistic Select® Small and Mini Breed Nourish Puppy Health Recipe. This little guy is incredibly curious and playful…as you can probably tell from these photos taken during Ollie’s first romp in the snow. Leave it to puppies to make winter a little warmer. I don’t know about you – but these photos really warm my soul! Here’s to winter.
01.07.2010 | 10:54 am
Here at Holistic Select®, we receive so many of your beautiful photos every day – showcasing furry family members across the country who all love Holistic Select food for pets. We really enjoy hearing from you and thought now that we have a blog…this is a great opportunity to share some of the great photos that land in our inbox each day. Here are some healthy Holistic Select fed puppies who are too cute for words!