It’s a fact of life that our dogs and cats age much faster than we do – which is why, as pet-wise parents, we are committed to giving our pets the healthiest, happiest and longest life possible. Because even subtle changes in behavior or appearance may signal the beginning of a decline in health, it’s imperative to be attuned to your pet’s health, happiness and well-being on a daily basis.
Many veterinarians today believe that obesity is the greatest health issue facing our canine companions. Like humans, obesity increases the risk of arthritis, heart and respiratory disease, diabetes, liver issues, hip and joint problems and other ailments that affect the quality and length of their lives. If you are a pet parent committed to providing your canine a long, happy and healthy life, the one most significant thing you can do to achieve that goal is to provide the exercise and nutrition that maintains an ideal body condition.
Your veterinarian can advise you more accurately as to the body conditioning score of your pet, but generally, if you can feel the ribs by lightly running your hand down the side of the chest with just slight pressure, you pet is fine. If you can’t feel the ribs, there is likely a weight problem.
The sooner you address the problem the less likely the pet will develop some of the issues mentioned earlier. So how do we get the weight off and maintain that slightly lean body condition? Here are a few steps to help.
1. Just like humans, regular exercise and proper nutrition are the key. Exercise doesn’t have to be strenuous, just regular and moderate. Walks to smell the roses, chasing the ball, swimming are all ideal regular exercise that also increases the bond between the pet and pet parent as does any activity shared and enjoyed together.
2. Making sure that you feed a diet appropriate for your pet and providing only enough to maintain an ideal body condition is perfect for a pet that is already at that ideal weight.
3. For the pet that is already overweight or even obese the challenge is a bit more difficult. Holistic Select has recently introduced a new Holistic Select Weight Management with Chicken Meal and Peas recipe to help pet parents achieve and maintain the proper weight and body condition of their pet.
This new and innovative chicken meal and pea recipe provides a complete and balanced diet with ideal, highly digestible protein, 30% less fat than our Radiant Adult Health recipes as well as our unique “Nature’s Select Actives” that encourage a more natural and holistic life style.
- Glucosamine for joint health as many overweight pets already suffer from joint discomfort.
- Phytonutrient Power Pack that naturally provides the benefits of the natural antioxidants found in fruits and vegetables
- Omega Health® System which provides the essential Omega 6 and 3 fatty acids in guaranteed amounts and optimum ratios to enhance the immune system and enhance the skin and hair coat.
- SQM Mineral System which provides highly bio-available vitamins and minerals necessary for a healthy system.
In addition, Holistic Select Weight Management Recipe includes added nutrients that specifically help the pet parent reduce weight and maintain an ideal body condition.
- Peas are a gluten free, highly digestible carbohydrate source with a low glycemic index.
- Pea Fiber is an ideal insoluble fiber source that helps to curb appetite by making the dog feel full longer.
- L-Carnitine is added and known to encourage fat metabolism and therefore help to maintain a lean body mass.
As with all of the Holistic Select recipes, a meat meal is the first ingredient, the diets are naturally preserved and there is no wheat, corn or soy in the recipe.
Holistic Select Weight Management is an ideal diet for the dedicated pet parent to consider in order to achieve and maintain an ideal body condition and encourage that long, happy and healthy life we all want for our trusted canine companions that bring so much joy to our lives every day.